Youth4IG Mentorship CLASS - 2020
We understand the feeling that youth can feel lost after their first few IG experiences or fellowships. Youth4IG aims to connect and uplift youth in the Asia-Pacific region, and we welcome those wanting to become further engaged in internet governance through relationships with those who have experience and engaged in the area.
To help solve this problem, a number of our members formed a working group and developed the idea of a mentorship program for youth within the APAC region. After several months of planning and discussion, we are excited to announce the details for our first-ever mentorship program!
Samiran Gupta is the Head of India for ICANN.
Donna Austin is the Senior Policy Manager at Neustar.
Mohammad Atif Aleem (TA)
Jasmine Ko (TA)
Mandy Chen (Co-CHAIR)
Jianne Soriano (Co-CHAIR)
Jan Jacob Jansalin
Seung Jae Lim
Babar Khan Akhunzada
YOUTH4IG mentorship program
We created the mentorship program to help newcomers to the IG space continue their journey after their first fellowship experience. We are not trying to be the “one-stop-shop” for newcomers to IG, but we want to provide a follow-up program to fellows in the Asia-Pacific region and help them stay involved in the IG space.
After the initial application period closes, we will match mentors with mentees and provide more details about the specific mentorship process.
Since we are running mentorship program for the first time, we greatly value any comments and expect selected mentors and mentees to provide feedback about their experience in the program (during and at the conclusion of the program).
Key dates / deadlines
|11 March 2020||Open Online Application|
|27 March 2020||Application Deadline|
|05 April 2020||Result Announcement to Successful Participants|
|April 2020||Orientation Webinar|
Who are we looking for?
Applicants to the Youth4IG membership program should meet the following requirements and agree with the following expectations before applying:
- Interested in becoming more engaged in the IG community
- be between the ages of 16 and 35
- be a resident or national of an Asia-Pacific economy
- already received/participated in at least one IG-related fellowship or program
- some examples include APIGA, APrIGF, ICANN NextGen, [email protected], etc.
- Able to meet with a mentor for around one hour every 2 weeks for the duration of the two-month program
- can be face-to-face if convenient, but will most likely be via teleconference
- Willing to provide feedback to Youth4IG at the end of the program
We also expect mentors and mentees to exercise good judgment, but if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to reach out to a mentorship WG member so we can help. write to us at: [email protected]